Friday, April 16, 2010

We Are the Truth!


I was suppose to post this yesterday and I let it slip my mind so I wanted to ensure I posted today. Joint Council has asked adoptive families to join the "We Are The Truth" - an adoption blogger day: To ensure the world knows about every successful adoption, on Thursday, April 15, 2010 they ask that adoptive families blog about our adoptions or the adoption of someone we know. It doesn't matter if your adoption is with Russia, domestic or otherwise international. Let the world know your truth!

So here is the truth. Many people are called to adopt. Many people are NOT called to adopt! Our family answered the call to adopt and we have been so truly blessed for answering that call. Most of you that follow our journey already know our adoption stories but for those of you that don't I want to share.

On October 19, 2004 a little boy was born in Vietnam to a young mother that could not care for him. After 10 days of I'm sure heart wrenching thoughts and prayers she decided to give her son Nguyen Nhat Hung the opportunity for a better life. She in turn placed him in the care of the Social Center of Ninh Thuan orphanage Province.

On July 23rd 2005 a little girl was born in China. Her mother must have also felt the same heart wrenching pain and in four days after her birth she placed her little girl in at the gate of the Civil Affairs bureau of Shaggao County.

In November 2004 Johnny and I finally answered the call to adopt and began the process to adopt. We visited our agency for an informational meeting and decided we'd adopt from China. We started the adoption (labor) paperwork and began the long wait to bring our daughter home from China. As we waited to receive our referral from China the adoption process in China slowed way down. What was a normal 6 month wait turned into 9 months. During that time frame Vietnam re-opened for adoptions and I felt a tug at my heart that there was a child waiting for us in Vietnam. After careful consideration I felt we needed to move forward with our adoption in China so we processed with China. In March 2006 we received the long awaited call from our agency that we had a daughter! Her name was Shangguan Xin Jing and we immediately fell in love. It all seemed so surreal at the time. I really don't think I let myself believe that she was our daughter until we were in the U.S. with her. She was so cute and such a sweet baby. The first day we had her we decided to go out for a walk and see Nanchang. So off we went. TinaH and I walking and Addie in the stroller. We stopped to talk to another family along our way and as we turned to walk on I thought I'd check on Addie. There she sat hands clutched to the stroller setting straight up fast asleep. Bless her heart I had to pry her hands off the stroller. That scared little girl quickly became a shining spot in our lives. She has a deep down belly laugh that just makes you smile. We are so blessed that God saw us all the way across the world from Addie and picked us to be her parents! Yes God picked us to be her parents and we are truly blessed.

Six months after returning home the thought that we had a child in Vietnam was still very much real in my mind. A few months later Johnny and I agreed we'd check into adopting an older child. I'd already secretly been online checking out waiting children on our adoption website. I'd found a little two year old boy on the site and had brought home his picture for Johnny to see. After a few days I asked Johnny again if he'd made a decision on the little boy. He picked up his picture and looked again and said "Yes". That was it! I knew from that minute that Nguyen Nhat Hung was our son. Tears came to my eyes and I rejoiced all the way to work knowing that God had just given us a son! I contacted our agency and was told that since Hung was older than Addie that we had to go before the adoption board to be approved to adopt him since our agency does not allow out of birth order adoptions. A week later the board made the decision and we received the call that Nguyen Nhat Hung was now our son "Alex Scott". We'd already begun the paperwork to bring him home so we continued down that path to bring him home. In September 2007 Tanis and I traveled to Vietnam. Where an almost three year little boy by the name of Nhat Hung Nyguen took my hand and walked away from the only home he had ever known! He was such a little man. He didn't cry or wimper and really didn't look back. He just took my hand and walked away from the orphanage and forever became our Alex Scott. We love him so dearly and have been so blessed to have been chosen to be his parents.

I don't want to over look the opportunity to let everyone know how blessed we as parents are. Many people tell us how blessed our children are. But I have to say I think Johnny and I and our family are truly the ones that are blessed to have been chosen by God to raise these two wonderful children.

Blessed beyond measure to be an adoptive family! "We are the truth"

No comments:

Post a Comment